Sunday, November 20, 2011

Welcome to Real Life (Historical)

*Note: there's a first for everything, and this was an unfortunate first. 

I feel like my sense of invincibility is slowly being whittled away. We all like that feeling, and we often act as if we aren’t as fragile as we really are. Suddenly, we get stark reminders that, holy crap, we aren’t supermen. I was wondering when would be the first time I get into an auto accident. I’ve always imagined that it wouldn’t be anything serious, just a fender bender. I did swear that I was going to scratch my car in my garage one time. I also thought that I’ll be hit coming out of the CA-15 and merging into the CA-94 West (friggin’ hate that merging lane). Well, things come unexpectedly huh? 
My first accident was a T-Bone. Stop signs…and cars coming in fairly fast. Glass shattered, passenger door bent in, side airbag goes off. Before then, I was a very confident (maybe a little cocky) driver. Clean record all the way through until then, drove in a “spirited” fashion (hmm, maybe if I had accelerated faster, I wouldn’t have gotten hit), and worst of all, got complacent. I should’ve done a double take at the intersection…should’ve done this, should’ve done that, should’ve…
A Rear Admiral told us that people are either good (at what they do), or they get lucky. For me, I guess it has been a mixture of both, and for that one second, I wasn’t good enough, and I wasn’t lucky enough…
I thank God that I’m not seriously injured (besides my pride…which is not necessarily bad), nor is my car (or the other one for that matter) is seriously damaged (I think…besides the door, all looked alright). I thank God I wasn’t carrying anyone. It could have been worse…  
Finally, it’s one piece of youthful bliss, ignorance and confidence damaged if not gone. I’ve been more careful driving, but I wish it didn’t come with this sense of paranoia I have at least for now. 
Welcome to Real Life Jonathan Leo. Things do heal though. Feelings, Confidence, Self-Esteem…and hopefully my car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment